Here at Web-Systems we are always looking at ways we can provide customers with the very best technology. This has always been on a computer/gaming related basis, however with the amazing weather we have been experiencing and the start of the summer holidays we decided we wanted to try something new! Only your most hardcore of hardcore gamers will remain indoors couped up over the summer months. So remaining true to our form of tech and gadgets we are pleased to announce we are now stocking drones, this varies from little drones for fun, DIY drones, battle drones, indoor safe drones, racing drones, drones with vr headsets and commercial drones. With this wide variety of stock we can still bring you great tech that is usable indoors and outdoors (mostly out doors naturally).
Drones have been around for years, and they are used for different purposes and can be of help in numerous occasions. However, these devices have become more popular in recent times and their application increases rapidly in various fields. But first of all, let’s answer the question your most likely asking “what is a drone?”.
The word “drone” has several different meanings and it origins from old English word drān, drǣn, which means ‘male bee’. When talking about a drones most people instantly think Military use, don’t worry we are not selling military grade drones. Our drones are for fun or commercial use.
One of the most used definitions for drone is: “An unmanned aircraft that can navigate autonomously, without human control or beyond the line of sight”.
Without a doubt drones are among the most advanced devices in today’s aeronautics, electronics and robotics alike. we will cover more about drones, how they work, what are their main features, their applications in a variety of fields, types of drones.
In order to understand better how drones fly and work, we need to know something basic about the construction of a typical drone.
A drone is made from different light composite materials in order to increase maneuverability while flying and reduce weight. It can be equipped with a variety of additional equipment, including cameras, GPS guided missiles, Global Positioning Systems (GPS), navigation systems, sensors, and so on.
Drones come in a broad range of shapes, sizes, and with various functions. The vast majority of today’s models can be launched by hand, and they can be controlled by remotes and smart phones. The non commercial and leisure models come in small sizes and have simplified construction, so these drones are suitable even for children because they are very easy to control.
There are many variations in the frame and construction of drones, the essential components that every drone must have is the same a waterproof motor frame, flight and motor controllers, motors, transmitter and receiver, propellers, and batteries or any other source of energy such as solar power.
Most drones are ready-to-use, however, some people like building a drone themselves using kits, such as we will be stocking.
What makes these unmanned aircraft remarkable is their great flight capability. Drones have ultra-stable flight, and they can hover and perform different acrobatics in the air. How far you can fly your drone depends on the space you are flying it, as well as the line of sight.
You can certainly fly a drone beyond the line of your sight, but it increases the risk of hurting someone, crashing your drone, or damaging someone’s property. Unless you have a mounted camera of course, racing drones are great as they use a FPV camera.
When it comes to commercial drones for entertainment, they have a short control distance and can fly just a few minutes. On the contrary, the advanced drones which are used in the military or mapping are able to hover for hours in the air and be controlled from a great distance.
Drones are used in many areas and there seems to be no end when it comes to their possibilities. This makes areas of applications numerous today and there is the growing use of drones world wide. Micro drones have become widely used lately due to their small size.
Main areas of applications:
- Search and rescue – Drones are very useful in searching and rescuing operations. For example, they are used in firefighting to determine the amount of the certain gasses in air (CO, CO2, and the like) using the special measuring equipment.
- Security – Many authorities use drones to protect people during various emergencies. For instance, they are able to help coordinate a variety of security operations and can preserve evidence alike.
- Inspections – Many systems such as power lines, wind turbines, and pipelines can be checked by drones.
- Surveillance – A drone allows recording and monitoring from the sky, and therefore, they are suitable to monitor public events, protests, or any suspicious happening without being heard and seen. A great tool for the police!
- Science & research– They help scientists a lot in research works to observe different occurrences in nature or a particular environment from the sky. For example, drones are used to document the archaeological excavations, in nuclear accidents (measuring contamination), in glacier surveillance, to observe a volcanic eruption, etc.
- Aerial photography & video – With a drone that is equipped with an HD camera, you can take the fascinating photos and shot footage of great quality from the sky.
- Surveying & gis (mapping) – Using multi-spectral cameras and laser scanners, drones are able to create high-quality 3-D maps. Therefore, they found applications in various areas, including remote sensing, surveying & mapping, photogrammetry, precision agriculture, etc.
- Unmanned cargo system – Drones also serve in delivering of lightweight packages and bundles of all sorts. This way, you can have a safe, environmentally friendly and fast transport of goods by air.
On top of these many uses drones are also used in engineering, construction and pre-construction work, aviation, maritime, marketing, real estate (both residential and commercial), insurance, utilities, mining, meteorology, education, and more. Today, many government agencies, private companies, and other institutions have their private drones.
Mini and micro-drones (especially, small micro quadcopters) are widely used for the entertainment purposes.The civil use of drones is a completely common occurrence now and hugely popular.
They are quite easy to control, and you don’t have to possess any driver’s or RC pilot’s license to fly them. This is a great source of fun, and people throughout the world enjoy flying drones.
Nano and mini drones
The smallest drones are members of these categories. They can be split into two groups Nano and Mini drones.
Nano drones are the smallest and they usually have the same dimensions as insects. On the other side, mini drones can reach up to 50cm in length and they have more powerful electric motors and better features than Nano drones.
In general, models from both categories are used by the military, in spying and smaller tasks, due to the fact they can be easily maneuvered and they can reach remote locations. There are several models on the market that are available to ordinary consumers, some of these we carry in stock. They have a very small radius, between 1 and 3 km and they cannot fly more than 10-20 minutes.
Drones with small sizes
Drones from this group have dimensions between 50 cm and 2 m. They don’t have powerful motors so they must be thrown into the air, in order to start flying.
These products are also very popular on the market because they have great features and they are more affordable than bigger drones.
These drones are also the most common type of drones available to average consumers, you wil find most drones that you can see on the market are members of this group. All of them have a radius of 5 km and they can fly between 20 and 40 minutes.
Drones with medium sizes
Every drone that has a wingspan between 5 and 10 m falls into the medium category. These drones can carry up to 200 kg of weight and they have powerful motors.
Due to the cost, size and weight of these drones they are not used very often by the average consumer.
These drones are usually used for transporting goods, to remote locations and by the military. These drones are still smaller and lighter than other light aircraft. They can fly up to 50 km and their flying time can be long as 6 hours.
A drone with a wingspan bigger than 10m is a member of this group. In general, these drones have the same dimensions as smaller aircraft and they are used by the army. A civilian cannot buy this drone, due to the fact it is treated as an aircraft.
Most drones are equipped with weapons and missiles, so they are used in tactical attacks or when sending human pilots is a high risk. It is believed that big drones will completely replace the aircraft that require a pilot in the near future.
Due to the fact that there are a lot of different drones from this group, they can be classified in these smaller, groups:
- Short range models. They can fly up to 150 km and more than 11 hours.
- Drones with medium range. These drones can have a range of 650 km and they are commonly used in weather forecasting.
- Drones with the longest radius. Drones from this group can fly up to 30.000 ft. above the sea level and they can stay in the air more than 36 hours. The main goal of these drones is to reach remote distances.
So now you know what drones are what they can do and how great they are all you need to do is buy one from us!